One of my favorite side dishes at a favorite Mexican restaurant here in Albuquerque is their corn cake, if you haven’t tried something like this, you NEED to! So tasty and a perfect “sweet” to the spice of Mexican food. Here is a great recipe for Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes to add to your next Mexican meal! Just in time for Cinco de Mayo!
Be sure to follow be on Pinterest for more great recipes!
3 C can corn
1 C stick margarine, soft
6 TBSP sugar
1-2 pinches of salt
1 C masa harina
4 TBSP flour
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
– Take 1 1/2 C of corn and using a food processor chop until it is coarsely pureed.
– In a separate bowl add the butter, sugar, and salt.
– Mix in the pureed corn.
– In another bowl combine the masa harina and flour, mixing until well combined.
– Add the bowl of masa harina and flour to the bowl of combined butter, sugar, salt and pureed corn.
– Mix well.
– Add in the remaining corn.
– Divide the mixture into 1/2 C potions.
– Mash each portion into patties or use a round deep cookie cutter to shape.
– Place each patty on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
– Bake for 25-30 minutes until the bottom of each patty is lightly brown.
– Take out of the oven and gently flip so the other side of the patty can get lightly brown.
– Return to oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes.
– Remove from oven.
– Add a small amount of oil to a warm skillet and add as many patties as the skillet can comfortably fit. (If you would like it a little crispy.)
– Fry in the oil until each patty is a little darker brown.
– Remove from skillet and place of a paper towel covered cookie sheet to drain the oil.
– Keep warm until ready to eat.
Southwest Sauce Recipe:
1 C mayo
2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp water
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Southwest Sauce Directions:
-Combine all the above ingredients and mix well in a covered bowl.
-Cover and refrigerate until the tamale cakes are done.
-Pour on the bottom of the serving plate and place tamale cakes on top.
Salsa Verde Recipe:
4 tomatillos, diced
2 4 oz cans of diced green chilies, drain liquid from can.
2 minced green onion
4 TBSP minced fresh cilantro
2 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cumin, ground
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Salsa Verde Directions:
-In a large covered bowl, add all above ingredients.
-Cover and refrigerate until tamale cakes are ready.
-Pour into a serving bowl for individual serving.
Tomato Salsa Recipe:
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 TBSP minced white onion
2 TBSP minced fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
1 small jalapeno, seeded, veined, and minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Tomato Salsa Directions:
-Combine all ingredients until thoroughly mixed in a covered bowl.
-Chill in refrigerator.
-Pour into a serving bowl when tamale cakes are ready to be served.
1 C sour cream
2 avocado’s, peeled, pitted and diced
4 TBSP fresh cilantro, minced
Garnish Items Suggestions:
-Chill sour cream in a serving bowl until ready for use.
-Place peeled, pitted, and diced avocado’s in a serving bowl with the avocado pit in the center of the diced or mashed avocado.
-Wash and mince the fresh cilantro.
-Place the minced cilantro in a chilled serving bowl.
-On the serving plate spoon the Southwest sauce covering the plate.
-Place the sweet corn tamale cakes on the above serving plate.
-Spoon on the garnish items equally on each tamale cake.
-Place the chilled serving bowls containing the salsa verde and the tomato salsa at each end of the serving plate.