How cute are these? You’ll be the mean one with these cookies!! The Grinch is a mean one. He doesn’t like Christmas nor does he like cookies. And that is ENTIRELY OKAY. Because, that means more cookies for you and me!
Heres what you’ll need:
- Vanilla Cake Mix
- Unsalted Butter, softened
- Canola Oil
- 2 Eggs, Room Temperature
- Powdered Sugar
- Corn Starch
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Parchment Paper
Grinch Cookie Royal Icing Ingredients (to make the red hearts):
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add powdered sugar and corn starch together in a loaf pan. Mix well.
- Mix the butter, cake mix, oil and eggs together. (the batter will be thick).
- Stir green food coloring to get the Grinch green (I used about 5 drops).
- Using a small ice cream scoop get a chunk of dough then roll it into the powdered sugar/corn starch mixture.
- Pick up the dough and roll into a ball and place on cookie sheet.
- Place the cookie balls 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until they puff up.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for several minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
Royal Icing Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring) Note: If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 Cup powdered sugar.
- Spoon the icing into a bowl.
- Add several drops of red gel food coloring in the large bowl of icing and stir well to mix the color.
- Spoon the red icing into a piping bag with a #2 tip.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Free hand draw the tiny red hearts or if needed trace the hearts to the underside of the wax paper to copy with the red icing.
- Allow to dry for 5-10 hours.
- Cut the wax paper surrounding the hearts into small squares then peel the wax paper away from the back of the heart.
- Place the small heart in the bottom of the cookie. If you need it to stick, you can use a bit of the royal icing to “glue” it to the cookie.
- Serve and Enjoy!