Celebrate berry season with this stunning dessert. With red white and blue layers, it is perfect for the Fourth of July or a delicious treat for any occasion. Each layer complements the next, with a wild variation of flavors and textures. The sweet crust on the top just begs to be eaten first, but you’ll need it there to hold a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
If there is any dessert left, store it in the refrigerator; it’s delicious cold, too!
Triple Treat Berry Dessert
What you need:
3 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
3 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
1/2 cup instant (“Minute”) tapioca, divided
16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sour cream
2 egg whites
1 batch of topping (recipe below)
1/2 cup of melted butter
1 cup cake flour
1/4 cup powdered milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
How to make Triple Treat Berry Dessert:
- Put raspberries and blueberries in separate bowls.
- Add 3/4 sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to each bowl and stir well. Mash the blueberries slightly with a potato masher or a fork.
- In a coffee or spice grinder, grind the tapioca until it looks like coarse sand. Add 1/4 cup to each bowl of berries and stir immediately to evenly distribute.
- Cover and let the berries sit for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Place room temperature cream cheese in a large bowl and beat until soft and creamy – at least 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and the sour cream and mix until well combined.
- Add the egg whites and mix just until incorporated. Do not overbeat.
- Lightly grease a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Pour all of the raspberry mixture into the dish. Cover with all of the cream cheese mixture, smoothing gently to level. Top with the blueberry mixture.
- Combine the topping ingredients and spoon the topping evenly on top.
- Pour the melted butter over the topping. It will puddle up, but once it bakes it will turn the topping into a sweet, crunchy crust.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 1 hour, or until the crust is a deep golden brown. Allow to cool on a rack.
- Serve barely warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.